When making presentations, it’s critical to be aware of the messages you’re sending through body language.
10 Tips for Effective Body Language:
- Open your chest and arms and keep your back straight to help you relax.
- Smile to make your audience comfortable.
- Gesture with your arms and hands and look your audience in the eye in order to keep the audience’s attentions.
- Keep calm to show confidence.
- Use the physical space by taking 2-3 steps between presenting point A and then communicating point B.
- Vary your gestures.
- When talking about a specific element on the presentation, point directly to it and look at it on the screen.
- To encourage audience participation, use open gestures and walk around/toward people.
- When answering a tough question, pause and breathe slowly and answer while looking the questioner in the eye.
- Remember to use positive gestures through the entire presentation – nodding, smiling, mirroring.
Follow these tips to stay on the path to becoming a superb presenter and to drive genuine audience engagement.