It’s tough to build trusted relationships with association members when they are spread across a state, region, or country. Using video to communicate with your membership is a powerful way to drive engagement, educate, and demonstrate member value and ROI – from your office to theirs.
Begin with a welcome message from your association’s president or executive officer and move forward from there. Before you know it, you will have a video library to inform and entertain members and get the attention of prospective members to help with member recruitment.
VIDEO TOPIC IDEAS
- Welcome new members with a warm greeting from your association’s president or executive officer. It will make a lasting first impression when onboarding members.
- Create a powerful message about your association for your website, social media channels, and email campaigns.
- Highlight an association member benefit and explain the potential value. This a great way to connect with new members and improve association member retention.
- Introduce key staff (e.g., customer service) and explain how they will assist association members.
- Introduce new members by inviting them to submit a short video about their products/services.
- Showcase a current member with a testimonial about the value they’ve gotten from their association membership.
- Promote association events and education to improve member attendance and increase association sponsorships.
- Communicate the serious things, like legislative issues and industry news. Serving as a resource for association members is key to demonstrating your association’s value.
- Onboarding: Including a video in your member onboarding email can double the click-through rate.
- Video vs. Text: 59% of executives say they would rather watch a video over reading text.
- Landing Pages: Including a video on a landing page can increase conversion rates by 80%.
- Comprehension: The impact of video is proven to increase association member understanding of a product or service by as much as 74%.
- Social Media: Social video generates 1200% more shares than text and images combined.
Check out the article, LinkedIn is a Powerful Association Tool to see how to engage association members on social media
- Budget & Quality: Your association doesn’t need a big budget or expensive equipment to create effective videos. A mobile phone and inexpensive online video editing tools can produce great results.
- Length: Remember to always keep your video messages under two minutes. 33% of viewers will stop watching a video after 30 seconds, 45% by one minute, and 60% by two minutes.
- Association Non-Dues Revenue: Offer sponsorship and advertising opportunities for videos when appropriate. This gives your association members/vendors valuable branding time in front of their customers and provides non-dues revenue for your association.
By the end of 2019, global consumer internet video traffic will account for 80% of all consumer internet traffic. Is your association effectively leveraging this simple tactic to engage with members?
Editor’s note: This article was originally posted on June 14, 2018. It has been updated.