Even in the best of times, when association members are spread across a state, region, or country, relationships are challenging. Using video to communicate with your membership is a powerful way to drive engagement, educate, and demonstrate member value and ROI – from your office to theirs.
Begin with a welcome message from your association’s president or executive officer and move forward from there. Before you know it, you will have a video library to inform and entertain members (and get the attention of prospective members to help with member recruitment).
VIDEO TOPIC IDEAS
- Provide a daily or weekly status update on issues impacting members.
- Welcome new members with a warm greeting from your association’s president or executive officer. It will make a lasting first impression when onboarding members.
- Create a powerful message about your association for your website, social media channels, and email campaigns.
- Highlight an association member benefit and explain the potential value. This a great way to connect with new members and improve association member retention.
- Introduce key staff (e.g., customer service) and explain how they will assist association members.
- Introduce new members by inviting them to submit a short video about their products/services.
- Showcase a current member with a testimonial about the value they’ve gotten from their association membership.
- Promote association events and education to improve member attendance and increase association sponsorships.
- Communicate the serious things, like legislative issues and industry news. Serving as a resource for association members is key to demonstrating your association’s value.
- Onboarding: Including a video in your member onboarding email can double the click-through rate.
- Video vs. Text: 59% of executives say they would rather watch a video over reading text.
- Landing Pages: Including a video on a landing page can increase conversion rates by 80%.
- Comprehension: The impact of video is proven to increase association member understanding of a product or service by as much as 74%.
- Social Media: Social video generates 1200% more shares than text and images combined.
Check out the article, LinkedIn is a Powerful Association Tool to see how to engage association members on social media
- Budget & Quality: Your association doesn’t need a big budget or expensive equipment to create effective videos. A mobile phone and inexpensive online video editing tools can produce great results.
- Length: Remember to always keep your video messages under two minutes. 33% of viewers will stop watching a video after 30 seconds, 45% by one minute, and 60% by two minutes.
- Association Non-Dues Revenue: Offer sponsorship and advertising opportunities for videos when appropriate. This gives your association members/vendors valuable branding time in front of their customers and provides non-dues revenue for your association.
Global consumer internet video traffic accounts for the majority of all consumer internet traffic. Is your association effectively leveraging this simple tactic to engage with members?
Editor’s note: This article was originally posted on June 14, 2018. It has been updated.